Create a DIY massage bar that’s almost good enough to eat! The combo of cocoa powder, Peppermint essential oil, and Cinnamon Bark essential oil, along with luscious coconut and almond oils, is the treat your skin deserves. You’ll have to avoid the temptation to take a bite out of this creamy massage bar, but you’ll still feel indulgent when you add a little massage to your wind-down routine.
How to make DIY cocoa-mint massage bars
Yield: 3-4 massage bars
- ½ cup beeswax pellets
- ¼ cup cocoa butter, cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 15-20 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 15-20 drops Spearmint essential oil
- 9-12 drops Cinnamon Bark essential oil
- 9-12 drops Copaiba essential oil
- A silicone mold about the size of a bar of soap with ridges or bumps
1. Add beeswax and cocoa butter to a double boiler over medium-low heat until melted. Be careful not to overheat or melt too quickly. Low and slow is best.
2. Once beeswax and cocoa butter are melted, turn off the heat and add sweet almond oil and coconut oil.
3. Add cocoa powder and mix well until fully incorporated with no clumps.
4. Pour the mixture into a mold of your choosing. Let cool for 5 minutes.
5. Add essential oils: 5 drops Peppermint, 5 drops Spearmint, 3 drops Cinnamon Bark, and 3 drops Copaiba to each massage bar. Mix in with a toothpick.
YL tip: Wait until the cocoa butter and beeswax mixture is slightly cooled before adding the essential oils. This keeps the temperature more consistent, which helps the oils blend well and do their job.
6. Let everything cool completely in the fridge before popping the massage bars out of the mold.
7. Store in a sealed container at room temperature; keep away from extreme heat to prevent the bars from melting.
Rub the textured side of the bar along your sore back, feet, legs, or any part of your body that needs a boost!
Look like the queen you were always meant to bee! Beeswax pellets help to naturally moisturize your skin without clogging your pores. They also keep the bar from falling apart or melting too easily.
Prepare to get buttered up with compliments about your skin! Cocoa butter (like its cousin shea butter) hydrates and nourishes to give your skin a radiant glow. The light, chocolatey scent will leave you feeling completely delectable.
Sweet almond oil
You’ll be sweet on yourself after using this carrier oil! Sweet almond oil has a nutty, slightly sugary scent that blends well with the other ingredients in this bar. The sweet almond oil in this recipe helps the bar to glide smoothly over your skin and boosts hydration.
Like a vacation for your skin, coconut oil helps to keep things smooth and hydrated! The coconut scent will leave you thinking of days on the beach with a bottle of tanning oil.
Go cuckoo for cocoa powder! Cocoa powder adds a chocolatey scent and gives the bar a natural, earthy color.
Peppermint essential oil
Get peppy! Peppermint helps to soothe fatigued muscles, makes the skin feel cool, and has an enticing aroma.
Spearmint essential oil
Double mint makes this bar smell like a confectionary delight! Spearmint has a milder aroma that adds subtlety to Peppermint’s punch. However, it still goes toe to toe with its skin-cooling factor.
Cinnamon Bark essential oil
Cinnamon oil is all bark and no bite. This familiar oil is often used as a massage oil because it warms the skin and has a sweet and spicy scent.
Copaiba essential oil
Learn to cope with Copaiba! Copaiba’s gentle, woodsy aroma will take you away to a quiet place of relaxation.
Shop Young Living Single Note Essential Oils